fbpx

2019 Student Dux Message

Good evening everyone,

I feel very honoured and privileged to be able to stand here tonight as the dux of Warrnambool College. After being in SEALP and having to do Year 12 twice, I learned that VCE is a mind battle. Doing well in it does require a specific mindset and when I was reflecting on how I made it through, not just once but twice, I wanted to share some tips that particularly helped me. For me, I constantly reminded myself of these things to keep me on the track to achieving the best that I possibly could.

Say no to yourself.

It's easy to tell our friends that we can’t hang out with them because we need to study and by the end of year 12 you’ll have used this excuse hundreds and thousands of times. Half the time when we say we’re going to be studying, we do it for a little bit but then end up on Netflix. So what we really need to be able to do is tell ourselves no, give yourself a cut off time so that when you say you’ll study, you will and you won’t just end up making Tik Toks. 

It’s not about how smart you are, it’s about how hardworking you are.

I am definitely not a bright cookie but I made sure to put in the extra work. At the end of the day, no one else could be held responsible for my studies. I had to be the one to work hard. No one else can do the work for you. Your attitude determines your altitude. Your attitude towards the work is the first step to achieving the highest ATAR you can. 

Learn to cope in a competitive environment.

Unfortunately, all of VCE is based on ranking. And as frustrating as the system is, you need to train yourself to deal with healthy competition, to constantly improve and be very aware of your mistakes. And luckily for me, the first person to point out my mistakes is my mother. Once I had just got a 97% on a chem sac and as soon as I told my mum she turned to me and said “where’s the other 3%?”. Isn’t she funny? I’m glad she would say things like that though because it’s exactly what I needed to hear to push forward so I cannot thank her enough for her unique way of motivating me to aim higher every time.

VCE is a sport. Treat it as such.

And like any sport, you can’t just win without training. So put in the work, make your bound reference and actually read the english books. Like any sport, it requires dedication and commitment but luckily just like how sports only last for a season, you’ll only go through VCE for a short period of time, so try your best because it’ll be over soon, unless of course you’re in SEALP.

To become the dux of any school is something that cannot be attempted alone. There were people who supported me and helped me achieve my goals so I would like to take the opportunity to thank these people tonight. I’d like to thank my year 12 teachers, Ms Ewenson, Ms Penn, Ms Cavanough, Mr
Gagnière, Mr Gration, and Mr Thompson for teaching me and marking all my practise exams.  A special thank you to Ms Stacey, Ms Toogood, Ms Penn, and Ms Ewenson who went above and beyond for me all the time. You have all supported me and believed in me from day one. Not only did I have your constant help at school but you would all go out of your way to go the extra mile for me, giving up your free periods and time after school, constantly going over things with me, and writing me references for scholarships. You have truly made a difference to my high school life and I cannot thank you enough.

And Ms Cav, from the moment I came to this school you have been by my side and you have always had my best interests at heart. You have been one of my biggest supporters and your endless care throughout the years is something I will always treasure. A huge thank you to my family, my mum, dad and brother, for all the love, care and support you have given me. The biggest thank you in the world to my mum, there aren’t enough words in the world to begin to say how much I appreciate you. I am eternally grateful for everything you have done for me and there is no way I could have made it through this journey without you.

From the bottom of my heart I feel very grateful to all those who helped me and guided me through my high school life and I feel extremely blessed to be able to end my high school journey as the dux of this school. If there’s one thing I’d like to leave with everyone is that as long as you have a passion and dedication, you can accomplish anything.

Thank you.

-Tiffany Tracey

Warrnambool College
Grafton Road, Warrnambool
Victoria, 3280

03 5564 4444
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Warrnambool College is accredited under the Department of Education and Training’s CRICOS registration (CRICOS provider name and code: Department of Education and Training, 00861K). For further information refer to www.study.vic.gov.au

© Warrnambool College 2020