My name is Emma Miller and I am the Assistant Principal responsible for our International Student Program. I work very closely with Maureen O’Keefe, Kathy Stacey and Sylvain Periera to provide a quality program for our international students. We welcome cultural diversity and we have a sister school relationship with China, Indonesia, Japan and France and an annual cultural exchange program with Indonesia and France. Currently we have 5 international students and 4 exchange students at our school and we greatly appreciate the cultural enrichment these students bring to the whole school community.
Warrnambool College is a large regional co-educational school of approximately 1250 students, situated in a safe, caring environment in the South-West coast of Victoria. Warrnambool has a population of 40,000 people, is situated at the end of the Great Ocean Road and is approximately 2.5 hours from Melbourne. Our school is within walking distance to the commercial and civic centers of Warrnambool and two large shopping and entertainment precincts. Our school is also within walking distance of the beach.
Warrnambool is a wonderful city for those interested in the outdoors. We have a lot of natural bushland, ocean swimming, surfing, horse riding and mountain biking. We have a multitude of sport and recreation facilities such as athletic tracks, basketball stadiums, swimming pools and BMX facilities. It also has numerous arts centres.
We have a small number of international students so all students receive the individual support and assistance they need. This enables the school to provide high quality home stay families and a great deal of care and attention for each student at school and at home. It also allows us to have regular contact with our students' families in their home countries. We want all of our students to enjoy their time at Warrnambool College.
Warrnambool College has a proven commitment to internationalism, wanting all students to see themselves as global citizens.
Warrnambool College teachers are professional, caring and motivated. Innovative teaching and staff commitment enable the school to deliver an exceptional and rewarding educational experience. Warrnambool College offers a wide range of subjects, specializing in Mathematics, Business and Commerce, Science and the Arts. We run a Select Entry Program for academic and gifted students (SEAL) and for gifted sporting students (SPP). We have sporting Academies in over 13 areas in addition to music, drawing, cooking, chess and drama. We offer free music tuition and participation in academies to all our international students. The school provides excellent preparation for university entrance and also has access to the local Deakin University for extension and enrichment.
ESL Academic and Career Counselling and Pastoral Support Services
The Assistant Principal, International Student Co-ordinator, International Pastoral Care Co-ordinator, ESL staff, Student Counsellor and Careers Counsellor work with other supportive and caring staff to provide our international students with ongoing counselling and advice regarding academic, personal and social issues. The students progress is monitored via our on-line management system Compass and each student is reported on in a 6 week cycle measuring academic levels and attitude and effort.
We maximise academic potential by providing:
- Extensive ESL support in small groups on site at all year levels by qualified, caring staff
- A comfortable and spacious School Learning Resource Centre with excellent resources such as computers where students can access the internet at no cost,
- House offices with lounge chairs, fridges, microwaves, coffee making facilities.
- Reports every 6 weeks and live student feedback on each assessment item via Compass
- Specialist Tutors available each Wednesday at no extra cost
- Thorough preparation of students for tertiary study and advice on subject selection and career options. For example: MIPS (Managed Individual Pathways Strategy Program) at Year 10, Study Skills Camp for Year 12 students at a regional university
- Visits are also arranged to local universities such as Melbourne, Monash, Swinburne and Deakin
A homestay is full board accommodation with a family, couple or single adult with a set weekly fee of (AU)$260, depending on facilities, services and location. To assist the student’s cultural adjustment and to support their community and social integration, experienced and caring host families, who understand and respect cultural differences, are chosen to provide a nurturing home environment promoting physical and emotional well being and the development of good study habits. Host families are also made aware of the culinary tastes of Asian students i.e.: lots of salads, rice, noodles and vegetables etc. We ensure that English is spoken at home and that no two students of the same nationality live together.
To ensure that your son/daughter has a smooth transition into the Warrnambool Community we provide the following services:
- Airport pick up and transfer
- Assistance with banking
- Assistance with purchasing books, uniform etc.
- Assistance with joining academies
- Free music tuition
- Enrolment meeting and school tour with the Assistant Principal
- Interviews with House Leader
- Regular social gatherings and pastoral care session with International Student coordinator
- Additional English tutoring and general VCE coaching
- Assistance with subject selection and career pathways counselling
- Compass on-line management system – access provided to student, homestay and parents in home country
Applications for enrolment for international students at Warrnambool College are through the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Victoria.
Download the Application Form or if you email me directly with your postal address, I will send you the form and answer any other queries you may have.
Telephone: Emma Miller + 61 3 5564 4444
Mobile: +61 0407 327 463